We get asked this question a lot so we've asked Saimaa Miller, our go-to naturopath and author of Aussie Body Diet a few basic questions to get our GLOW on!
Q. What are the best foods to eat for glowing skin?
Congested or problematic skin conditions can arise when the skin is overburdened from highly processed substances such as refined sugar, white flour products and excessive fats. These foods trigger our body’s inflammation response and can lead to an over-production of sebum, leading to skin conditions such as acne.
For glowing skin, the first step is to steer clear of refined sugars, white flour products, dairy and unhealthy oils (unfortunately used in restaurants and cafes). And dose up on foods rich in the antioxidants beta-carotene, zinc, and vitamins A, C and E. Include healthy, monounsaturated fats such as avocado, olive and wheat germ oils, and foods rich in silica which also has the benefit of minimizing wrinkles by making collagen. Silica-rich foods include leafy green vegetables, cucumber, millet, oats, onions, rice, whole grains, alfalfa, barley and beetroot.
Q. Are there any standout pantry staples or fresh fruit and veg that you have in your kitchen for glowing skin?
- Fruits include berries, apples, kiwifruit, pineapple, pawpaw, lemons, limes and lots of coconuts and avocado!
- Vegetables include beetroot, green leafy veggies such as rocket and spinach, anything green (broccoli, snow peas, cucumber, etc).
- Herbs include garlic, ginger, onions, coriander, mint, fennel, alfalfa and parsley
- Grains include oats, millet, barley and brown rice.
- Fermented veggies e.g. sauerkraut and foods such as kefir which are high in pre and probiotics.
- Synergy Natural green powder, organic hempseed or flaxseed oil, Vida Glow marine collagen powder and Sunwarrior protein powder.
Q. What's your most unconventional nutrition tip for glowing skin?
I really believe in the gut-skin axis (relationship). Care for your digestive system and your skin will respond with a glow that no amount of botox can buy! As I write in Aussie Body Diet, our skin is our largest detoxification organ and glowing skin has a direct relationship with how well our food intake is being processed and nutrients being assimilated by our digestive system, as well as the health of liver and kidneys.
Therefore my most unconventional tip would be to eat fermented veggies and make homemade kefir. Recipes for Raw Fermented Veggies, Sauerkraut and Kefir are found in the Extra Goodies For All Phases section in the Aussie Body Diet.